While we've still been making face shields, our production has not been maximized due to AP testing, college courses, and other various endeavors we've had to undertake these past couple months. We're nowhere close to our initial goal of 2,000 shields by the end of May, but we'll slowly and steadily continue to make shields, with a new goal of hitting 1,000 shields by the end of summer. We're still at under 400 shields, yet thanks to wonderful volunteers we have to resources available to make more as soon as we get printing production back up.
It's been quite a while since my last blog update, and a lot of stuff has happened in the past week or so. Of note, I made a game in 72 hours a few days ago, we redesigned the face shields for faster assembly, we're going to try to get our design clinically reviewed, and we're going to roll out a new recruitment program so that people without printers can help, hopefully reaching a labor force about 3x the size of our core team!
We have 3D printed parts for nearly 500 shields, fully assembled over 100 shields and distributed 65 shields at the time of writing. We have raised over $5k on our GoFundMe and are expanding our publicity and reaching out to other teams for collaboration. This and more we have achieved within the first week of everyone getting their supplies, and we are just getting started!
I know I haven't been posting much but the past week has been very busy. We got on CBS News, are planning an interview with ABS-CBN, raised nearly $4.6k, made 39 shields and distributed 23, and ordered materials to make 2,000 shields by the end of May!
Today we sent a couple of prototypes to Sutter Health to demo. We got some valuable feedback, made some improvements based off of that, and we are at $2990 on our GoFundMe—$10 away from the $3k goal!
With every passing day this project moves faster and faster. Today, we picked up Mr. Brown's printers from West Campus and distributed them to Luke, Liam, Zane, and myself. We also designed a new head strap system and have solid plans to reduce the cost down to under $1! Tomorrow, I'll be sending a couple $2 prototypes that I added the new strap onto to my mom's work so we can get some feedback from actual nurses in the hospital. On top of everything, we've raised almost $2800!
I know I haven't been making blog posts for the past couple days but I've been working really hard on pushing all my efforts publicly. In fact, I launched my GoFundMe and at time of writing, donors have contributed over $2000!
Today I got started making the first prototype for the face shields and I learned a lot about the materials that I really need to make these. I'm also in the process of optimizing the design to be as cost-efficient as possible.
My original plan was to create a new website for the COVID-19 action I discussed taking in yesterday's post. However, this no longer seems to be a feasible option. Therefore, I am making a number of changes to this website so I can put the same content I was planning on hosting on the new site here.