Today I went to Home Depot and Walmart to buy the materials to make the face shields. As I was shopping, I realized I couldn't buy all the same parts outlined in Budmen Industries' instructions, so I decided to improvise. In fact, I decided to simply use their design as inspiration, but design my own face shields from scratch!
I plan to do an experiment building both their design and my own in the next couple days and assessing their comparative efficacies, and make a decision from that point forward how to proceed with making these shields.
I did the math really quickly, but I think I bought enough materials to make around 50 of these shields for about $1-2 each. Budmen Industries estimated their own price point to be $8 each, but that may now be lower given the new partnership they recently made to manufacture the clear sheet for the shield.
If I decide to just go with my own design, I would own the rights to all the Intellectual Property associated with the face shields, but I would need to make sure to put my own liability notices/terms and conditions to protect myself under the Good Samaritan law. Albeit, I should really just focus on making these shields from the nurses who actually need protection. =D
In any case, tomorrow I need to double down and get these prototypes done. My mom goes back to work on Saturday and I hope to have enough of these shields made by then.
I want to have the Crafting the Curve page ready in a couple days with a tutorial, contact information, and the whole works so I can recruit publicly. For now, however, I'll just provide updates on my progress on this blog page.
Stay safe and healthy!